What's This All About Then??

This blog is especially for women who suffer from endometriosis, but also for anyone seeking inspiration as they journey towards healing.

We (Clara and Ellen) are sisters, and this is our joint project.
Ellen has struggled with chronic pelvic pain from endometriosis for close to 15 years. This project is our answer to her pain. We decided that, even if we can't make the pain go away, we would do everything in our power to activate the body's healing mechanisms.

So what exactly is Endo Undo
?

It is a year-long quest for wellness. It is about being mindful of the food and drink we put into our bodies and about how we move our bodies. It is about where we rank our own bodies in our list of life priorities (and trying to get ourselves and our overall health back to the top of that list!). It is definitely about trying new things and having fun and building a stronger, deeper, more beautiful bond between sisters. It might even be about the reduction in Ellen's pain symptoms.

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Hello again!

If you've been following our blog, you've undoubtedly noticed that we've taken a bit of a break from blogging (a LONG break!).  Since Ellen's pain has been extremely debilitating these past few months, it's been hard to remain inspired to continue the upbeat tone of the blog.  But we've discussed it and we do want to continue with the project.  After all, we weren't looking for quick fixes (although deep down, maybe we hoped for one??).  It's still about healthy living and sustainable (which sometimes means slow) healing.

If anyone has great ideas about how to stay motivated with the diet (or healthy living in general), please share in the comments thread.  I think Ellen and I both have struggled with it over the past few months.  My summer was dominated by graduating from school, getting married (!), lots of travel, and starting my own business.  Ellen is busy with her master's program, work (with 3-year olds, for goodness sake!  It's exhausting!), church activities, and all of that on top of constant pain management.  It's easy to think, "I'm too busy to worry about the diet right now!  I just have to wait until things calm down, then I will be better."
But as I finally realized when I turned 30, this is it!  This is our one precious life.  I try to remind myself everyday to stop thinking "When ____, then I will _____."  It's so so hard, but we need to fashion each day after our vision of what our perfect life would be.  Oh brother, I'm sounding like a self-help book now.  But really, this stuff is important.
When I'm feeling less motivated about healthy eating, I like to hit the library.  I find a new and exciting book about nutrition or a healthy cookbook, and I dive right in.  This helps get me pumped up about food and offers some fresh ideas about how or what to eat.  I don't suppose it's healthy to be completely obsessed with nutrition books, but I do find that reading one every few months helps keep me excited and motivated.  Dr. Fuhrman's books always psych me up.  If you haven't read Eat to LIve or SuperImmunity, you should try them!  Another great book that Ellen recommended to me is Thrive Foods by Brendan Brazier (I will share a recipe from this book in my next post).
What are your tips for keeping yourself motivated to stick with your healthy lifestyle?

No comments:

Post a Comment